ASSIST / Sibling Project
Acquiring Social Skills Through Intervention, Support, and Training (ASSIST)
ASSIST is a group facilitated by a Special Education Teacher designed for children aged 5-10, who are residents of Orange County and have OPWDD eligibility.
Applicants will have an initial in-home evaluation before participating in meetings which will occur in a set of 9 meetings. Three 9-week sessions are held throughout the year. Once a child completes 9 sessions, they can continue to meet with their peers once monthly during the ASSIST Reunion sessions.
- Grandparents of enrolled children are invited to attend a group twice a year.
- The group holds an annual meeting for all active ASSIST and Reunion members.
Monthly meeting for siblings of children with developmental disabilities and their adjustment
Getting along with a sibling may be difficult at times but getting along with a sibling who has disability (such as an intellectual developmental disability, cerebral palsy, autism, epilepsy, neurological impairment or severe learning disability) may be a real challenge.
- Sometimes your child may feel embarrassed -sad -angry -confused -guilty
- They may find it hard to talk to parents, friends and teachers about these feelings and emotions.
- Siblings have a non-judgmental place to share feelings, concerns and joys, and make an awesome craft and meet new friends
There is no charge for these training and support groups, however, pre-registration is required. OPWDD ELIGIBILITY REQUIRED- Notice of Decision from Hudson Valley DDRO. Call 845-342-2400 Ext 1235 for eligibility.
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org